Tuesday, March 20, 2012


In Honor of Lenora Owen Hoyal and Lawrence E. Hoyal on their 50th Wedding Anniversary.
By John Henry Hoyal

It was the year 1916. It was my lot to be in the Maud B Booth home for children in the city of Los Angeles, California.  My mother had passed away when I was two years old, my Father, James E, Hoyal was left with eight children, and five of these were under ten years old.   He tried very hard to keep the family together, but he was unfortunate in having an accident with his leg, which laid him up for quite a period of time.  He had to give up, and put the five young ones in this home for children.  Anyone that has ever been in a home of this kind will tell you that although there is nothing really bad about it, there is very little time for the matrons or supervisors to show much love to any one child.
From left to right is Johnny(4), Irven(8), Bill(3), Haze(11), Ruth(6). Photo taken about 1911

When I was about 9 years old one of the older children Lawrence E. Hoyal met and married Lenora Owen Hoyal in Ogden, Utah.  This older brother which by no means was very old, 19 or 20 years old.  He told his wife Lenora about his younger brothers and sisters being in this home.  During that year there was a child born to them, Jimmy Hoyal.  Soon after this they returned to Los Angeles.  On their arrival they came to this home to see these brothers and sisters. Lenora fell in love with them and arranged to take them and look after them.  Although she had this little family of her own. This young mother being only 21 years old at the time, must have had the love that Christ talks about in his Holy Word to take on this undertaking. I would not leave out the love and understanding that this big brother showed at this time also, as I am sure she could not have done it alone.

Uncle Johnny & Aunt Viola abt 1950

I know that our Lord has a place picked out for them in that place not built by hands. Eternal in the Heavens.  I know because I am one of these five children. I love them as my own Father & Mother
John Henry Hoyal

No comments:

Post a Comment